Saturday, January 27, 2007

Where Does God Want Me To Go?

I often wonder how you know when what seems to be an obvious decision is from God or Satan? Even if it is from Satan, doesn't Romans 8:28 still ring true? God calls us to suffer. Since he allowed Job to suffer so strongly by Satan, why do I think should be immune?

I often think about just quitting my current life, packing my bags and going to Africa. As I mentioned the other day, I have grand plans on how God could use me. I also have an ego problem. Like a lot of things in my life, I try to keep this hidden. I know. God knows.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with making an abrupt change. Would it be from God or just my worldly thinking? God knows what is going to happen in my life. When I think of God being in control, I am not one of those who believes every step is planned out in advance. I think God clearly has in mind for me to live up to the potential he created in me. I am his. I am created in his likeness. I have the ability to be like him. I am called to be like him.

I am not like him. I think I suffer from looking too far into the future. I have plans out a decade or two in the future. I don't think this is inherently wrong. I think I make it wrong because by focusing that far out, I miss the opportunities to be like him right in front of me.

As I struggle with the major questions in life, I wish I would get better at daily journey. In the book I am reading now, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, some words rang true. God has faith in me to live up to what he created in me. I am disappointing God by not living up to his faith in me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow - I love you and Danna so much. Thanks for your courage... your encouragement and kindness poured out on others really does manifest His potential in you..
Your honesty, courage and willingness to walk into the unknown, unplanned and absurd are inspiring. Your decidedness to make sure any move would be spirit led and not ego led shows utmost integrity.
Wade isn't the only one smoking what he's selling. :-) I love that in you.

KimC said...

Hello,

You don't know me, but I'm a fellow Christian blogger and happened to come across your blog by googling "where do you want me to go God". Funny enough, this was the first link that popped up. I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one out there asking questions and it was encouraging to read your blog. Having recently graduated from college, I've been wrestling with the question of what God wants me to do and where He wants me to go. Should I abandon all that I know, all my future plans, and just focus on the here and now? I have selfish tendencies and want so much for myself, but so does God, and I have to face the fact that maybe what I want isn't what He wants for me at this time.

It's been a tough journey, and I am in the process of learning to be faithful by putting my plans aside and placing God's first because there's a larger picture that I can't see. At this point all I care about is advancing his kingdom with whatever is placed before me, but I completely know how you feel. Being faith driven isn't easy but it's what makes our walk so much better in the end. I admire your courage to be faith driven and commend you for giving up control :-)