Monday, January 29, 2007

Teaching Respect - A Very Lost Art

I heard Tim Russert make a presentation today in Tulsa. His presentation was insightful in many ways. I loved how he continues to talk about his Dad so fondly. I must admit, I didn't realize he wrote a book about life lessons he learned from his Dad.

One story he told resonated with me. He told the story in the context of doing the right thing and how we are taught the importance of doing the right thing. In my opinion, he was taught the difference between right and wrong and respect for people primarily at home. Again, in my opinion, his parents respected others to instill in Tim a sense of right and wrong.

The story was from Tim's days in Catholic schools. He mentioned one of the Fathers at the school (are there more than one?) bounced him off a locker for, as Tim said, one of many reasons. Tim said he asked the Father something to the effect, what about mercy? The Father replied mercy is up to God, I am about justice. Tim commented about how different that is today. The Father or any school teacher would most likely get sued.

Interesting, isn't it??

No comments: