Saturday, December 09, 2006

Money, Muslims and Christians

I recently participated in several conversations about a Muslim man who made a generous gift to an organization with Christian goals and ideals.

One of several comments made was how in years past, a gift like this would have been refused by many (most?) Christian religious organizations. I see this position as ludicrous!! When we talk about our money not being ours but God's, I guess that doesn't apply to other people's money? It seems to me we are refusing God's money!!

What if someone won the lottery or made money from a "gentleman's club" or whatever and wanted to give that money to church? Why would any church refuse it? I know there would be plenty of talk if they did!!! In my opinion, if we refuse that type of a gift, we are in effect saying that our money is more holy than others. Even though God loves them, it is OK if we don't.

Another comment that really caused me to think was that Muslims want to change the world. They are all committed to eliminating the infidel. I really don't believe that.

Many non-Christians believe all Christians are the same - they want to change the world. I KNOW that is not true. It struck me that it is sad that we are not the same in that we are not always trying to make a difference in this world in the name of Jesus.

I guess I am sad that all Christians are not what we ought to be (especially me!!). I am thankful that God is patient. I wonder if I talk about God's patience when he is really disgusted with me?

I am grateful that not all Muslims are committed to destroying anyone they refer to as infidels. I am grateful there are different kinds of Muslims at the same time I know there shouldn't be different kinds of Christians.

I pray that I will be more bold and all Christians will be more bold in speaking and showing Jesus. I pray our love of others, including Muslims, will be so evident that they will have to find out why we are able to love that way - that they will find Jesus through us.

No comments: