Saturday, December 23, 2006

Early Christmas Present

I had a rough conversation with B on Thursday. He told me at the end of the conversation that he wasn't going to go to dinner with us on Friday, as planned. He uses his lack of presence as a means to punish me.

On Friday while Danna and I were playing golf, Nan called and said a lady came by See's. Nan asked if she could help her. The lady said no but mentioned that one of her employees from the store at the mall said his grandparents were working so she just stopped to say hello.

It made Nan's day. I could tell she was just beaming even though I was only on the phone.

I called Brandon and left him a message telling him how much it meant to Nan and Don and that I was very proud of him.

He did meet us for dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AWESOME! I am so blessed to be your wife!

I LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a sweet ending. The power of positive is amazing. So many other parents would have been rude or condecending back at their child, and I can guarantee you there would not have been any dinner shared...

Way to go, Dad!

Although, having grown up in Nebraska, it still strikes me a bit odd that you would say, "On Friday, while Danna and I were playing golf," knowing that Friday was December 22! That's just wrong.

DJT said...

Shane,

I played golf again today. It is so much fun to be able to play in December!!

Thanks for the comment. I really appreciate it.

Jeanne said...

You've discovered a great thing! I wish we had discovered it much sooner in our oldest child's teenage years. There were so many problems that we found ourselves only talking about those things and not near enough time talking about the things he did right. We discoverd later that you can't ever go wrong with love and praise when it comes to kids. Sometimes we have to have the tough discussions, but any time we can find even the tiniest thing to praise them for it opens up a door into their heart. Must be why God spends so much time telling us how much He loves us and how specail we are to Him! You are a great Dad!