Sunday, December 03, 2006

I Listened - Well, at least once.

After church today, I saw a lady who had just buried her Mom right before Thanksgiving.

As I walked past her while she was talking to a couple, I noticed her eyes first and how tired and hurt they looked. Her eyes were surrounded by a face that was waving the white flag.

I stopped, turned around and went back. I didn't say anything as I walked up and intruded in the little group of three that were talking. I just gave her a hug. As I started to hug her, she said "Thank you, I needed that." I just kept hugging her. As I could sense her starting to tear up, I teared up as well. I finally looked at her and said just a few words. I told her I was sorry.

I was taught by many people after my Dad died that no one has the words to say. We often don't approach someone for fear we will say the wrong thing. Sometimes, when we do approach them, we walk away wondering why we said something so stupid.

Communication is so much more than words. Why do we so often insist on using them?

No comments: