Monday, February 05, 2007

Back to Questions

I was thinking today that I have been getting away from the main reason I started this blog stuff - asking questions because I don't have answers. The more questions I have, the more I figure out that often, there are no answers.

Interestingly, in Rob Bell's book Velvet Elvis that I recently read, he talked about how in the Jewish educational system, the way you demonstrated knowledge was by asking questions. I think I am on the right track in asking questions but I am afraid my questions don't demonstrate any knowledge.

Anyway, back to the question(s).

Luke 16 the parable of the shrewd manager. I am not sure what to think of this. What does it mean? We often quote verse 13 about not being able to serve two masters. That verse makes a very good point. But what is the point of verses 1-12? What are we supposed to learn here? What are we supposed to pass along to future generations about this passage? Did I miss what earlier generations passed along about these verses?

2 comments:

Larry James said...

Glad you are asking the question about Luke 16--most church people don't go there.

Take a look at the entire chapter. After Jesus told the story, how did the religious folk react? Turned their noses up at him. Why? Because the loved money.

The story that follows of the rich man and Lazarus is the clincher.

The point of hte shrewd manager is that he made friends for himself by "cooking the books" of his former boss so that those who owed the boss money would now owe him after he was out of a job.

Jesus' point is that we should make friends for ourselves among the poor because we will later find them to be the gatekeepers of eternal life and they will let us in when remembering out stance on touching poverty in this "here and now world." If that is not the meaning, tell me what the meaning is!

DJT said...

Larry,

I am honored that you would comment on my blog!

I think about "what you did to the least of these, you have done to me" and I know we gloss over that scripture way too easily.

I was challenged by Shane Claiborne's book and am glad you reference it.

I struggle with what I am doing or not doing with my life. I seriously struggle with what I also wrote about - wanting to do something big and therefore, doing very little.

I also have to remember that what is little is not nothing. The other day, I had someone ask for money. I gave him some money. My 16 year old son said that I had just wasted my money because he sees people like that all the time at the convenience stores near where he skates and they just waste the money.

I told my son that I really didn't care. It is not up to me to make that decision.