Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Restoration Movement

Anyone who knows me knows I am quick to share my opinion, as unlearned as it is. I may be totally off base with my thoughts. . .

I am convinced the restoration movement, as I know it, has and continues to miss the point. I often hear about us wanting to "be like the first century church".

Why do we have that as a goal?

Why were the letters written to the early church which are a large part of the New Testament? Because the first century church was a MESS!!! Guess what, we are just like the first century church. We are a mess too!!

The goal of the restoration movement should be to restore ourselves to Jesus. We need to do that EVERYDAY, individually and collectively as Jesus' flawed body.

We need a better goal. We NEED Jesus!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I don't think you're off base at all; I think you're right on! Not that there weren't good things about the first century church: there were, and we would even do well to imitate those things. But to make it our goal to be like that church as a whole is off track.
It's like how we imitate other Christians. We see Christ-like characteristics in other Christians and we try to imitate those characteristics; but our ultimate goal is to imitate Christ, not the Christian that displays Christ-like qualities. In the same way, we as a church should imitate the things about the first century church that are like Christ, but our goal should not be drawn away from Christ Himself.
Good thoughts, brother. Thanks for the way you make us think!

Shane and Hope said...

Yeah. What you said.