Saturday, July 14, 2007

Things That Make You Go - Hmmmmm???

License plate frame - *blank* Christian University Alumni

Window sticker -

YES
This is my truck.
NO
I won't help you move!

I also read an article in today's paper from which I took the following words. Pope Benedict XVI approved a document which says that "other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches and Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation." "The commentary repeated church teaching that says the Catholic Church 'has the fullness of the means of salvation. Christ established here on earth only one church, the other communities cannot be called churches in the proper sense because they do not have apostolic succession - the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles - and therefore their priestly ordinations are not valid, it said."

I refer to my second question from last Saturday. Why do we feel the need to focus on rules - even if we believe we can point to them in scripture as a proof of their existence? Why do we think we can follow a rule perfectly anyway? Why do we think God is interested in us following the rules just so we can say we follow the rules?

By virtue of my heart rate getting elevated when I think of the article, I show I have missed God's point in changing my heart from the inside. It is easier to focus on the rules I prefer and love those who love my viewpoint.

Maybe that is one of the problems. I think we too often, consciously and unconsciously, gravitate toward the easy.

3 comments:

Danna said...

This reminds me of our conversation with Jason and Heather Saturday night. IS God interested in us getting everything exactly right (which, by the way, is IMPOSSIBLE!) or is He interested in us showing Him to a lost world?

DJT said...

I vote for showing Him to a lost world.

James & Andrea said...

My husband and I saw someone with the same window sticker here in Alaska (although not from a Christian college, presumably). It made us sad to think of people having blessings and gifts that they are too selfish to share. It made me reevaluate my own attitude towards "my" stuff, time, and abilities. "Yes, I know how to cook and can get out of bed, but I won't make you a meal." "Sure we have a computer, but you can't come over and use it." Selfishness is so ugly and the world is full of it. As Christians we HAVE to stamp out that bad attitude in our hearts and give as God has given to us.