Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hodge Podge

Amos 5
18 Woe to you who long for the day of the LORD! Why do you long for the day of the LORD ? That day will be darkness, not light.
19 It will be as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear, as though he entered his house and rested his hand on the wall only to have a snake bite him.
20 Will not the day of the LORD be darkness, not light—pitch-dark, without a ray of brightness?
21 "I hate, I despise your religious feasts; I cannot stand your assemblies.
22 Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Though you bring choice fellowship offerings, I will have no regard for them.
23 Away with the noise of your songs! I will not listen to the music of your harps.
24 But let justice roll on like a river, righteousness like a never-failing stream!
25 "Did you bring me sacrifices and offerings forty years in the desert, O house of Israel?
26 You have lifted up the shrine of your king, the pedestal of your idols, the star of your god which you made for yourselves.

That convicts me! It makes me look at my life and what I do that is so foreign to God. I place such importance on assembling for "worship" and forget that my life is to be a worship and the assembling is a time to build others up, worship and be built up to go out and make a difference.

Isaiah 5
26 He lifts up a banner for the distant nations, he whistles for those at the ends of the earth. Here they come, swiftly and speedily!
27 Not one of them grows tired or stumbles, not one slumbers or sleeps; not a belt is loosened at the waist, not a sandal thong is broken.
28 Their arrows are sharp, all their bows are strung; their horses' hoofs seem like flint, their chariot wheels like a whirlwind.
29 Their roar is like that of the lion, they roar like young lions; they growl as they seize their prey and carry it off with no one to rescue.
30 In that day they will roar over it like the roaring of the sea. And if one looks at the land, he will see darkness and distress; even the light will be darkened by the clouds.

I can just imagine God whistling calling these destructive forces to dinner!!! The banner, in my mind, would read "Come and Get It!!!" Thankfully, God provided for us a way to avoid being dinner.

Isaiah 1
18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
19 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land;
20 but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Talk about intimidating - actually trying to reason with God!! Yet, this week I said that when I get to heaven, I will ask God about why he made man if he knew before creating him that he would have to send Jesus.

How do I stay confident about my salvation through Jesus yet not arrogant resulting in me becoming a dinner morsel?

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow - all of this is so convicting, and a question I grapple with alot too. My flesh is ready to be arrogant at times, both in covering over my sin, and sometimes in not believing confidently God's promises. His word is that constant sword, even as you write it out today, that pierces each arrogant thought with the realization of how much bigger He is than me.
Sometimes I am uncomfortable with grace expressed in the mouths of those who are "seemingly" irreverant about obvious sin, and yet find myself desperate for that same grace as I am unable to control my own.
One thing you wrote seems to be key - the difference between arrogance and confidence is non-arrogance, or humility.
Confidence based in humility boasts in God and His abilities to save, not self and it's abilities to worship or redeem correctly.

Thanks for always making me think hard and seriously about good stuff Doug!